Monday, July 9, 2007

Costa Rican Rain

I decided to paint by the pool again today. After I had completed the drawing on the new canvas, I began mixing colors in preparation to paint. In Costa Rica the weather will change from sunny to a complete downpour in a matter of a few seconds, and soon after I had begun mixing paint, it did just that. I felt a few drops, and was hoping it might be a quick passing shower, but it did indeed start to pour rain in heavy sheets within seconds.

Ordinarily I might have been disappointed, as oil paint and water do not mix, but I had to laugh as I made a mad dash to my casita with my easel, canvas and freshly mixed colors in hand. In fact, I’m still smiling.

This small watercolor painting was completed yesterday during the rains. The silvery gray skies are so beautiful again the green rainforest. The colors remind me of where I grew up in the Pacific Northwest.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know you brought watercolors. Nice painting...again. Keep smiling.

Anonymous said...

Brad, I love the water color painting! It is really beautiful. I coudn't quit staring at it. Wow, you are really painting up a storm! Ha, ha. Keep up the good work! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I have to say that the water color is my favorite so far. :D xoxoxo Hi Allen Mote!

Anonymous said...

You should sell that water color painting for about a million dollars. xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I still say this ought to be hanging up in the White House. xo

Anonymous said...

Sudden downpour,
disrupted palette,
blues and greens bleed into silver gray,
portrait of a variable sky.

G.
(I forgot to post this one last night.)

Anonymous said...

Or maybe this version. Not sure which one I like better.

Blues and greens bleed into a silver gray sky;
disrupted palette,
this summer rain.

G.