Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thinking About Laos

I had the opportunity to visit Vietnam in 2005, and it was a life- changing experience that opened my eyes to other world cultures. It was during this time that I first began to be interested in Laos.

Laos has been described to me as “the sleeping beauty of Indochina, slowly emerging from the mist.” It is a small, mountainous landlocked country with many ethic minorities living in the mountains. There are beautiful cities and world heritage sites, such as Luang Prabang, and the mysterious Plain of Jars, a remnant of an ancient unknown culture. It is only recently that Laos has emerged on the international scene, which has kept her different cultures intact.

I am interested in studying art in Laos, and recently have made many contacts in Southeast Asia. All of the artists I have been in contact with in Southeast Asia have been extremely helpful and courteous, and I hope that studying there becomes a reality. Studying in Laos would increase my cultural understanding and would give me a different outlook on my own art. I would also hope to get involved with the community, and complete a project that would give back to the culture.

About the photo- graphs: These images were pulled from the internet. If you are the owner of the photograph, please contact me and I will give you the appropriate credit or remove the image.

6 comments:

Mekong Medicinals said...

Sabaidee.. Since I see you are in Boston you might like to check out the SEAsian Water Festival in Lowell this weekend: http://www.lowellwaterfestival.org/ .. A little taste of Laos for when we can't be there : )

La Khon..

Anonymous said...

How exciting! The pictures are so interesting. I love that you are so driven to go to other countries and broaden your horizons! Good for you Brad! xoxo

Anonymous said...

hey man..this is just cool. I like the colors you've chosen. great photos..

widyantoa.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Maybe you will start thinking more about painting landscape (I see your daytrip also inspired something landscape-y). Your style seems very suited to natural elements...(what?) Moving swiftly forward, you are.
oxoJanet from CR

Anonymous said...

Brad,
We really enjoyed seeing you this weekend, and both had a blast! I am so happy for you that the stars you have been aligning toward Laos have been following your lead towards a seemingly amazing place and experience! Good luck and good tidings over the next few weeks and keep on shining :-)
Dave and Will

Anonymous said...

Hi Allen Mote!